Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Global Epidemic

According to the World Health Organization (WHO) AIDS (Auto-Immunodeficiency Syndrome) is the advanced stages of HIV (human immunodeficiency syndrome) which is caused by a retrovirus that attacks the immune system of the person infected, greatly decreasing their potential life expectancy – by as much as 20 years in heavily affected countries – by leaving them highly susceptible to other infections and certain cancers. It is potentially spread mainly though sexual intercourse, the sharing of needles, blood transfusions, and from an infected mother to her child during pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding.

AIDS is now considered a “global epidemic” by UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. In 2007, UNAIDS in conjunction with WHO released an update on the AIDS epidemic, noting that approximately 33.2 million people worldwide are currently infected with HIV, about half of whom are women. In 2007, 2.5 million more people were infected with the retrovirus, almost 1 in 5 of those infections being of children under the age of 15. UNAIDS estimates that on any given day, 6800 more people are infected with HIV and 5700 die from AIDS, which they attribute mainly to inadequate access to prevention and treatment.

However, not all areas and people of the world are affected in the same way. The "Global South", particularly African countries, have been hit the hardest. According to Avert, an international AIDS charity, approximately 22 million people in Sub-Saharan Africa are infected with HIV, comprising approximately two-thirds of all HIV infections worldwide. 

Not all individuals within those countries are affected equally either. According to Keep A Child Alive, “AIDS has a female face almost everywhere in the developing world, and especially in sub-Saharan Africa," noting that among those 15-24, women are three times as likely to become infected as men. Children, whether or not they themselves are infected with HIV/AIDS, suffer from its consequences, as evidenced by the 13 million AIDS orphans that have been documented in Africa. The impact of AIDS on the world, then, clearly extends beyond those whom it infects directly – it affects the friends and families of its victims, as well as the economies and other institutions of their states.

In reaction to this epidemic, many national, international, and transnational organizations have sprung up to respond and attempt to slow – and perhaps – halt the spread of the deadly virus and its devastating consequences. According to the 2008 UN Report on the Global AIDS epidemic:
The epidemic has heightened global consciousness of health disparities and catalyzed unprecedented action to confront some of the world’s most serious development challenges. No disease in history has prompted a complete mobilization of political, financial, and human resources. (p. 13)
The following timeline from this report illustrates a few of the major mobilizations concerning AIDS that have occurred since 1985:

In addition to intergovernmental organizations such as the UN and WHO, many NGOs – including The Global Fund, the ONE campaign, and Keep A Child Alive – have emerged to try and improve prevention, education, and treatment of HIV/AIDS. In 2000, the United Nations incorporated combating HIV/AIDS as Goal #6 of the Millennium Development Goals, declaring the need to halt and reverse the spread of HIV/AIDS and to achieve universal access to treatment by 2010. This action was followed up by a Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS taken up by the UN General Assembly. At the transnational level, many yearly or semi-yearly events have been organized to raise awareness and bring AIDS activists together, notably World AIDS Day and the International AIDS conference.

9 comments:

Charli Carpenter said...

Stephanie, I ran across "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/383644481X/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance" a book that recently came out that may be very helpful to you as you track this case.

Charli Carpenter said...

sorry, that didn't work the way it should have. i'm still learning how to do hyperlinks in comments.

JULIA FRANLIN said...


So is possible that HIV Disease can be cured because i have been scammed so many times not until i came across this great man dr akhigbe who helped me at first I never believe all this comment and post about him and I was very sick because i have been infected with HIV Disease for the past two year,just last 2months I keep reading the testimony about this man named dr akhigbe they said that the man is so powerful he have cured different type of diseases, I keep monitor the post of some people about this man and I found out that he was real so i decided to give him a trial I contacted him for help and he said he was going to help me get my cure that all i needed to do was to send him money to prepare the medication after which it will be sent to me via dhl service which i did to my greatest surprise the medication was sent to me he gave me instructions on how to use it that after three weeks i should go for check up,after taking the medicine and follow his instruction after three weeks i went back to the hospital for another test, at first i was shocked when the doctor told me that i was negative i ask the doctor to check again and the result was still the same negative that i was now free from HIV Disease at of the shock i decided to come and share my own testimony with you for those who think there is no cure for HIV Disease the cure as finally come' stop doubting and contact dr akhigbe via email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com he will help you out you can also wattssap him via +2348142454860 he is also perfect in curing DIABETICS,HERPES,INFERTILITY;ALS,ANCE PIMPUS,LUPUS VIRUS ,SYPHILLIS, PENIS AND BREAST ENLARGEMENT, LOW SPERM COUNT, MENINGITIES AND HEPATITIES B[HBV] DISEASES. believe me that deadly disease is not a deadly sentence becauase dr akhigbe has the cure.

Leona Knight said...

LEONA KNIGHT
Am leona knight
Thanks to God and also to dr akhigbe , the great herbal man that cured me of HERPES. I contacted the virus from my partner 4 year ago, i almost spent all i had because i was restless , until i saw peoples testimony about Dr akhigbe recommendation online for how he has being curing HERPES with his herbs herbal medicine , and i emailed him and tell him my problem and he prepare my cure and send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use the herbs herbal medicine, i followed as i was instructed for 2weeks and behold after i finish drinking it i notice something in me, i went to the hospital for checkup and the result was negative and the virus was completely gone from my body. You can contact Dr akhigbe to get your herbs too and cure yourself from these virus. You can email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you call him and whatsapp him on +2348142454860. . Dr akhibge cure so many different type of diseases with his herbal herbs such as HERPES, HIV/AIDS. CANCER of all kind, DIABETES and so many more. I want to thank God for using Dr akhibge to cure me. He is real.

RUSSELL ROBERTSON said...

russell robertson...
There has been progress in herbal medicine of DR AKHIGBE which have become safer,in curing diseases;i was suffering and dying of herpes for past two years,untill i came across DR AKHIGBE on internet i email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com 'glory be to GOD'am cured of herpes by drinking his herbal medicine cure [HMC] he sent to me. Herbal medicine cure have made it possible curing diseases. i was once a victim and am giving out a living testimonies , and am been restore.
So become easier to take or drink and where early herbal often required drinking it as frequently as 3 to 5 times per day, most first-line cured, herbal medicine now comprise a single daily fixed taking as the instruction followed. DR AKHIGBE also cure others diseases like ; HIV/AIDS,DIABETES,CANCER,HERPES,SYPHILLIS,MENINGITES,GENITAL AND SIMPLEX HERPES, ALS,HEPATITES A AND B.etc any one out there been effected by diseases to email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatApp him on +2348142454860. GET YOUR HERBAL AND GET YOUR FREEDOM.

Stephen Peter said...

, WOW WHO WILL EVE BELIEVE THAT I WILL BE THIS HAPPY TODAY, AFTER MANY YEARS OF PAIN LIVING WITH HIV VIRUS. MY NAME IS STEPHEN LIVE IN UNITED KINGDOM. IT ALL HAPPEN FEW YEARS BACK WHEN I DISCOVERED THAT MY SYSTEM IS NO LONGER FUNCTIONING WELL, SO I DECIDED TO GO FOR MEDICAL CHECKUP ALL TO DISCOVERED THAT I HAVE BEEN LIVING WITH HIV POSITIVE VIRUS AND I NEVER NOTICE IT FOR A VERY LONG TIME. AT THIS PARTICULAR POINT OF TIME I WANTED TO GIVE UP MY LIFE, BUT WHEN I WENT THROUGH THE INTERNET TO READ MORE ABOUT HIV VIRUS, I FOUND OUT THAT THIS VIRUS IS DISGUSTING BOTH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL. GOD SO HAVE IT THAT I HARD ABOUT THIS SIMPLE WONDERFUL AND GOD SENT HERBAL DR CALLED DR AKHIGBE THE SAME DAY I WANTED TO GIVE UP EVERYTHING BECAUSE I FEEL LIFE WAS NO LONGER IMPORTANT TO ME, MANY THINGS HAPPENED BUT TO CUT THE STORY SHORT, I AM HIV NEGATIVE NOW, AND EVER SINCE I WAS CURED THERE IS NO OUTBREAK EVERYTHING HAS GONE BACK TO NORMAL AND I BELIEVE AM THE HAPPIEST PERSON ON EARTH TODAY. DR AKHIGBE NEVER ASK ME TO TESTIFY FOR HIM, I DECIDED TO DO THIS MY WAY SO THAT AS MANY THAT WILL BELIEVE AND CONTACT HIM WILL BE FREE FROM THIS DEADLY DISEASE. THIS VIRUS IS SPREADING EVERYDAY SO LET PUT OUR HANDS TOGETHER TO SAVE LIFE. BUT I KNOW MANY ARE YET TO DISCOVERED THAT THEY ARE LIVING WITH THIS VIRUS. I BELIEVE THIS IS THE MOST CRITICAL VIRUS, YOU CAN LIVE WITH IT FOR MANY YEARS AND YOU WILL NEVER NOTICE IT. WELL AM SO HAPPY TODAY ESPECIALLY WHEN MY LOST LOVE IS BACK AND WE ARE GETTING MARRIED SOON. SO MY DEAR LADIES AND GENTLEMEN LET PUT OUR HANDS TOGETHER TO SAVE AS MANY WE CAN BY SHARING THIS TESTIMONY SO THAT THOSE THAT DONT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CURE THEIR DISEASE WILL BE CURED AND BE HAPPY FOREVER, SO YOU CAN CONTACT HIM THROUGH HIS EMAIL ADDRESS, WHATSAPP NUMBER AND WEBSITE AS FOLLOWED. drrealakhigbe@gmail.com +2348142454860. http:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

HE CAN ALSO CURE THE FOLLOWING AND AM A LIVING TESTIMONY TO IT.
DIABETES
HIV
PREGNANCY PROBLEM
HERPES
ALS
CANCER

CONTACT HIM TODAY AND YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER REMAIN THE SAME AGAIN, AM PROUD OF YOU DR AKHIGBE

Unknown said...

Thanks to this great herbal doctor who cured my friend of HIV/aids, his name is Dr. Iyabiye. My friend suffered HIV for so long that she lost her job and became stranded financially because of HIV antiretroviral drugs she buys every time. Until 2 months ago when I heard about this doctor and I did contacted him to help my friend, he administered his medication on her and she was confirmed cured and free at the hospital after the treatment. I came here to inform the general public and to safe people from this life threatening & killing disease. Contact: iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com (+2348072229413 / +2348158577300)

Unknown said...

I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.

Jennifer Robert said...

Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee.

Hello everyone, I want to say a special thanks to Dr OGU. for helping me get cured from herpes virus 2019 , I contacted him base on the testimonies I saw about him on the internet I was diagnosed of HERPES Virus i have tried all I can to get cured but all to know avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal man who prepare herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HERPES virus, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try I was cured by his herbal medicine and natural herbs, kindly contact him today through his email: drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com or text/call: +1 (719) 629 0982

He’s waiting to help you.


HE ALSO SPECIALIZE IN THE FOLLOWING DISEASES;

If you have any sickness like : H I V/AIDS , CANCER , HERPES HSV 1 or 2 , GENITAL WARTS, Yeast-infection's (HPV), and Hepatitis A, B. liver diseases , Diabetes, 1 or 2. , fibroids, Chlamydia, Genital herpes, Alzheimer’s, Trichomoniasis , Tuberculosis, CAD, Gonorrhea, Epilepsy, and Syphilis.